Saturday, December 26, 2009

Proofreading, part 12

As a keen Torah reader myself, I'm well aware of those horrible moments when you're reading along and you look at the Torah and you think “huh? what on EARTH is that?!” When I'm proofreading, I try to pick up on that sort of thing.

kosher but confusing


Here's an example. That mem and nun are a bit too close together for comfort, in my opinion.

kosher but confusing


The letters aren't actually touching each other, so they are kosher as they stand, but they're close enough that they'd make me, as a reader, stop and look more closely. Well, I don't like that when I'm reading, and I'm a huge fan of “What is hateful to you, do not do unto others,” so when I'm proofreading I try to fix that sort of thing, even if technically it doesn't need to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment